Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Removing wood from valuable guitars

Today was "Guitar Day".  This is where I remove wood from perfectly good guitars in an effort to make them better.


This is a Martin D-18 GE and I did quite a few things to it.  Last night I pulled the bridge off, scraped off the finish underneath, and reglued it.  This morning, I shaved a couple of braces, removed another one, made a new pickguard (shown), made a new nut, and did some misc things.  The effect of all this is a guitar that's a bit more responsive, louder, crisper and just, IMHO, sounds better.  It also helps pay the bills and that's very, very important!

Here's the new nut I made.






This work took pretty much all day, but the guitar's done and ready to ship home.  With this done, I need to get ready for Bible study tonight.  We're going to start something new.   What, I don't know.  Maybe we'll study the parables of Jesus, maybe we'll work thru an entire book, maybe... well, I don't know.  I'll just have to see what The People want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment