Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Full Day at the Air and Space Museum

Today we went back to the ASM, arriving at 10:05 am. Not being a weekend, not being a Federal Holiday, it was much quieter and nicer. We spent the entire day at the museum, picking up all the exhibits we didn't see the previous two days. I don't think David noticed much but I'll tell ya what- Amelia Earhart was really cute.  She had this mischievous look that made me think she might've been a handful to her parents.  I don't know, of course, I'm just speculating.  She may have been the kind of daughter who always did the dishes, kept her room clean without being asked, and was asleep promptly at 9 pm.  I doubt it, though. I was surprised to see that she accomplished everything she did in just 13 years. That's pilot's license to disappearing. The exhibit said that she flew the gyroplane with only 15 minutes of instruction. Impressive. We watched another 3D movie, this one on the Hubble Telescope. I really didn't know much about the scope beforehand so it was an informative movie for me.
David in front of Apollo 13 capsule.


At lunch, a guy whom I've talked to online for years met us for (and bought us!) lunch- Charlie Bryant from Flatpick-L. We had a fun visit and it was great to finally meet in person after all these years online. The thing about online relationships, though, is that you have already talked about so many things that you can just continue right on with those discussions. It's also interesting in that, many times, we are biased toward a person because of the way they look or dress or wear their hair. But online, it's just pure discussion- what have you got to say? I don't know how many times I've talked guitars with “Chris” or “Claire” to find out that “Chris” was female and “Claire” was a guy. All I knew them as were people with things to say.

While waiting on Charlie, I wandered over to the "donation" box and was struck by how much foreign currency was in there.  I dunno, maybe the Smithsonian "salts" the box, but I saw currency from India, Korea, Arabian, and more, as well as a few dollars, too.



After exhausting the ASM, we headed back to the room. I got my daily Starbucks, we ate supper, did laundry, and now we're watching “Dirty Jobs” on the tube. It's been a relaxing day.

Tomorrow- Union Station DC and heading home!

1 comment:

  1. "All I knew them as were people with things to say." Interesting that you should say that. I've just finished reading Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451". I don't think I'd ever read it, maybe I was suppose to back in high school English class,; I was pleasantly surprised in the story line. Every now and then someone will reference the story about book burning and now I can truly understand the implications. Since it was written in the 50's and set in the future it's very uncanny. Books, thinking, conversation, and the like are unlawful in the story. It's great to know it's just a story...that we can continue in this time period to have meaningful conversation either in person or on the 'net.

    ReplyDelete