Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Workin' on a building.

An old bluegrass gospel tune, rephrased:

I'm working on a building
I'm working on a building
It's a non-square building
It's a non-square building
I'm working on a building
For my birds, for my birds

Something like that anyway.  We spent most of today working on my hawk house.  I've been working on it all summer and it was time to get the roof up.  You can't go partway on a roof and then quit, not when you're going to put live birds in it.  Today was The Big Push- we had to remove the temporary roof, put cross-pieces up, and then put the metal down.  I got the first 2 parts done, then took a break to unload 2 in-coming cattle trucks loaded with 202 head of cattle.  That's getting our cattle season into a little bit better shape.

After getting them unloaded and out into the pasture, it was back to work on the hawk house.  We had some trouble with the wind trying to lift the panels off as I was getting a test fit, but after some perseverance, we were ready to stick 'em down.  Here' are some of Georgia's shots from today:

Makita tools rule.  Check out my tan line.

Getting the cross timbers in place
Artsy shot thru the bars

Water.  It's good stuff

Let's review the hawk house progress!

Getting started



All the panels up and temporary roof

Metal on the front
At day's end





































































































I was a little off square but by setting the rear edge "just so" and taking the opportunity to trim the front, I was able to make it look pretty good.  Good enough for birds, anyway.  Just need to get one more side on, some trim, some flashing and then I'll be finished!!!

Please note rain clouds in distance.  We got a nice little shower from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment