Sunday, February 17, 2013

Happy Anniversary, Blog!




I was looking over my blog yesterday and realized that its 2nd anniversary is here.  I started the blog to chronicle the trip to Washington DC that my son, David, and I took.  He had been talking a lot about Washington DC and how much he'd like to go there, but with his anemia, I was scared to fly.  Then my mother said "Have you considered the train?"  I looked into it and, before long, David and I were on Amtrak on our way to DC.  The blog chronicled the trip and I kept it up when we got back.

In recognition of 2 years of writing this think, I spent some time reading back over the whole thing and I was struck by just how MUCH has happened in 2 short years:

Year One:
I had water problems in the house.
David and I went to DC.
We both got sick upon return- I was down for over a week
Our water froze and then the pressure switch stuck, blowing valves.
I did an emergency extension of our septic tank...
...During which our backhoe broke down (and is still broke).
Derek requested and received baptism. [a GOOD thing!]
David started on blood transfusions.  Lasted 3 weeks at first.
We entered what would prove to be a severe drought.
I took a wild peregrine and prairie falcon to use for falconry.
David's transfusions increased to every other week.
Moved into a new guitar shop.
My grandmother died.
The ranch got hit with a lawsuit.
The peregrine died from an eagle attack.
David's transfusions increased to every week.
We struggled financially due to reduced income from drought and increased expenses from lawsuit.
David started on steroids.
More drought.
More expensive legal wrangling.
A critical well went down.

That was all in the first 15 months.  After that, things seemed to turn and this past year has brought:

Year Two
Drought continues thru summer- worst since the '30's but we still shipped some nice cattle.
Saved the well thanks to "well fishing" and improved the well while fixing it.
Daughter off to college and doing good.
Lawsuit settled.
Drought still in effect but we got some much-welcomed snow.

I know life's supposed to be exciting, but, believe me, "cruise control" for the next 2 years would be just fine with me.  :)  However, I don't think that will happen.  There will be challenges and adventures and we'll face them just like we've faced these.


My prairie falcon loves me:



No comments:

Post a Comment