Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The End!!!


I’m sitting here in a nice warm house writing this while the wind’s blowing 40 mph outside, creating sub-zero wind chill factor.  We finished shipping cattle yesterday and it’s the end of the longest, hardest ranch season I’ve yet had.   The drought was absolutely killer and the only thing that saved us were the rains at the end of July and into August.  Others were not so fortunate.    Adding to this were some business disputes, the battle with my son David’s blood disease, and the passing of my grandmother.  It’s been quite the year.  But here we are, still alive and kicking. 

The actual process of cattle shipping went extremely well, thanks in part to the feeding that I was able to do about a month prior, and also to an exceptionally good group of cowboys that worked with and for us.  The cattle love high protein cattle cake and when I fed them this year, I used my FoxPro predator call as an additional call.  I programmed a siren and a recording of me honking the horn into the FoxPro.  Once the cattle were trained to this, they really came well.  I was able to call them across the pasture and then thru the gates.


Cattle following the feed truck

Cowboys following up, pushing the stragglers

Cowboys at work.  Waiting to load the alley with more cattle.

Phillip working the alley.

Like father....

...like son!

So, what’s next, you ask?   Well, plenty… we’ve got some maintenance to do before winter fully hits, shutting water off, winterizing things, and stuff like that.  Then there’s the battle for David’s health- that will surely take priority as we try to figure out what’s wrong with him.  I’ll be flying my falcons when it’s not too windy, and I mostly hope to get to work on some guitars!  And I think I’ll start praying for rain NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment