Friday, June 24, 2011

Peregrine success!!!

If you've been following my blog, then you know I've been checking peregrine falcon nests all spring in hopes of taking one (completely licensed, of course.) Well, today, after thousands of miles of driving, hours of rappelling practice, disappointments, and hopes, it happened!  Arrangements were made with NM Dept of Game and Fish, BLM, and a couple of other falconers and we all met at the meeting spot.  After a 1.6 mi hike in (carrying a 32 lb pack stuffed with ropes, carabiners, webbing, helmet, stakes, etc), us "top dogs" were in position, guided into place over the aerie by the "under dogs" down there at the cliff base.  I threw the rope once... was told to move it a little... pulled it up... and ouch!!!  It was covered with small cactus spines.  And of course I'd left my gloves back at the truck.  I had to toss and pull the rope 3x before the under-dogs were happy with the placement.

After getting the rigging done- I tied to 2 trees at the rear and picked up a 3rd tree a few feet farther, something I'd previously practiced- it was over the side for me.  Up to now, no one on the ground had actually seen chicks and there was a possibility that this whole thing might be a dud.  Indeed, as I leaned out over the cliff (roped in, of course), I could see the ledge, but no chicks.  A few feet down, though, I saw them- 3 little chickies all huddled together on the ledge.  Yee-haw!!!  NMDGF requires before and after pictures, so I took them before I landed on the ledge.



The Three Musketeers...
...suddenly becomes the Dynamic Duo.
The new addition

After taking the chick, I ascended back up the cliff.  It was a pretty easy ascension and  I just had to be extra careful not to knock rocks off.  I left my shunt connected to the rope on the ascent for extra safety and it was no extra trouble, so I'll probably continue to do that.  I was really happy with the shunt's performance as, once again, I let go of it at the nest ledge and it held me there as I got the chick and attached all my ascending gear.


Back on the ground, it was high five and congrats time.  Taking a wild peregrine is kind of a big deal and it definitely was an accomplishment for me to go from searching to monitoring to the final take.  And now, it's time to raise and train.  Fortunately, the prairie and the peregrine are different ages so I'll be able to work with each differently to keep things interesting.  The peregrine's got about 3 more weeks before he gets his feathers and starts to look like a real bird.

And now, off to feed the prairie falcon!

No comments:

Post a Comment